for becoming a resident
1. Candidate must fill out the residency application completely. Leaving any questions blank can delay the process. If you are an ordained monastic from any tradition please also submit the supplemental monastic application along with the Residency Application. A guideline created by our Executive Committee is that any individual interested in residency completes no less than three retreats (two short retreats, less than five days and one long retreat, more than five days) prior to applying for residency (exception to this guideline may be waived for fully ordained Buddhist monastics only). It is very important that our community has the opportunity to get to know the candidate as a meditator. This will also provide the individual the opportunity to be at Bhavana in formal retreat settings.
2. Once your application has been received, it will be reviewed and references contacted. This may take several months, so plan ahead. Feel free to contact our office to check on the application status if you have not heard back from us after 6/8 weeks.
3. Before you are accepted as a resident, you must provide Bhavana with the name of a person who will act as your “safety net” should your stay be cut short for any reason. This person will be contacted. (He or she may be one of your references.)
4. Candidates will be accepted for a three-week trial period (see below), asked to re-apply at a later date when space is available, or told that they do not meet our residency requirements.
5. If accepted, ALL CANDIDATES (lay and monastic) will be on a three-week trial period before being accepted for a three-month probation period. At the end of that three month probation period you will be either:
(a) accepted as a long-term resident with a fixed date of departure or
(b) accepted as a long-term resident with intention to ordain
(c) placed on an additional period of probation with a review at the end of that time
(d) requested to leave
6. Please note that the Bhavana Society reserves the right to ask residents to leave at any time, including persons on probation or any category above, if circumstances warrant.
NO PERSON IS ENCOURAGED OR AUTHORIZED TO CUT OFF WORLDLY TIES, LIQUIDATE PROPERTY OR ASSETS, ETC. UNTIL ACCEPTED FOR NOVICE ORDINATION. THE BHAVANA SOCIETY CANNOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY FAILURE ON YOUR PART TO PREPARE FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF YOUR TENURE AT THE SOCIETY BEING TERMINATED.