What to bring
- Sleeping bag preferred or Twin Sheets, Pillow case, Towel *
- Alarm clock
- Water bottle
- Ear plugs if you are a light sleeper
- Wet weather clothes and shoes
- Unscented Bug Spray during warm weather conditions as flying insects are common in our region
- We always recommend bringing a shawl or something to cover yourself for cool weather year round
- Personal meditation cushion if you prefer (We have plenty of zafus, zabutans, and benches for everyone)
- Yoga mat (if you will practice yoga)
- Modest clothing. (even in the warmest of weather, tank tops, low cut shirts and short shorts, etc. are not acceptable. Baggy shorts that come down to the knees are permissible.) Do not bring t-shirts with commercial or political messages. Please note, tight fitting clothing is inappropriate. Loose fitting clothing is requested for both men and women.
- Please bring your own water bottle/container to re-fill with our filtered water. If you drink a special drink like juice or soymilk, we request that you bring it with you in a non-perishable container and keep it with your personal items. Though we have a refrigerator used by visitors, it is very small and everyone will have access to it. Unfortunately, we cannot provide soymilk or other supplements for your special dietary needs.
- You may bring your cell phone but not all cell phones work in our area. You may use your cell phone for an alarm clock but we strongly request that you do not use your cell phone once you are on our premises. If you need to contact someone, please do so before you arrive or after you leave our center.
- If you would like to bring a donation of food or supplies, please read about what we need.
*Note: Bhavana does have a limited number of sheet sets, pillow cases, and towels for those arriving by public transportation. Please bring these things if possible but don’t sweat it if you can’t. Bhavana is able to supply blankets and pillows.
Laundry facilities are available only for guests staying over 10 days.
What NOT to bring
- Do not bring illicit drugs or alcohol. They are strictly forbidden. If you are addicted to smoking and feel you must smoke while you are here, please contact us before coming.
- Do not bring personal computers, electronic musical devices, radios, musical instruments, newspapers, magazines and secular books to the center. It is our Abbot’s request that you concentrate on the retreat and not disrupt your concentration with electronic devices or reading material.
- Do not bring noisy jewelry, noise-making clothing (such as nylon, corduroy, etc.)
- Do not bring clothing with distracting lettering.
- Do not wear perfumes or deodorants with strong scents.
- Do not bring pets.