This MP3 CD explains the jhanas and presents comprehensive instruction on Jhana meditation. It contains all the Dhamma talks and guided meditations from a retreat held at the Bhavana Forest Monastery. The retreat was lead by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana and was focused entirely on samatha meditation and the jhanas. The dhamma talks give a thorough explanation of the jhanas and the guided meditations provide much additional practical information and systematically demonstrate a method for samatha meditation. The CD also contains copies of all the relevant suttas in PDF format.
This MP3 CD contains every part of the Bhavana retreat in the original order so that it may be used as the basis for individual retreats.
You cannot request the talks or meditations as seperate CD's.
Complete MP3 CD Contents
- Dhamma Talk: Introductory remarks and a general discussion of the jhanas
- Guided Meditation A: The importance of metta in jhana meditation, concentration on breathing
- Guided Meditation B: An outline summary of the jhanic factors
- Dhamma Talk: The basic preliminaries of jhana meditation
- Guided Meditation A: Discovering the illuminated mind, the Brahmaviharas
- Guided Meditation B: Relaxation of mind and body, letting go of the five hindrances
- Dhamma Talk: The five jhanic factors
- Guided Meditation A: Metta as the object of focus in jhana meditation
- Guided meditation B: Developing the factors of the first jhana
- Dhamma Talk: The factors of the first and second jhanas
- Guided Meditation A: Developing the Brahmaviharas as a path to discovery of the luminous mind
- Guided Meditation B: Meditation on metta
- Dhamma Talk: The third jhana - the interdependence of mindfulness and concentration
- Guided Meditation A: The practicalities of metta meditation
- Guided Meditation B: metta as the vehicle that can start initial application of thought
- Dhamma Talk: The factors of the fourth jhana
- Guided Meditation: Impartial equanimous mindfulness and the transition between the jhanas
- Dhamma Talk: The fourth jhana and the higher immaterial jhanas
- Guided Meditation A: Relax the body, relax the mind to find peace and spiritual success
- Guided Meditation B: Mindful concentration, momentary concentration, absorption concentration
- Dhamma Talk: What comes after attaining jhanas?
- Guided Meditation A: A summary of the steps in practicing jhana meditation
- Guided Meditation B: A metta meditation
- Dhamma Talk: Concluding remarks
- Q and A: Answers to questions submitted in writing throughout the retreat